WINAY WAYNA TO MACHU PICCHU, Inca Trail, Peru
Last day of the Inca Trail. We got up super early and joined the queue marching towards Machu Picchu. At 05:20 the gate of the final stretch of trail opened and we went in as a group to hike the final 5 km. Despite a little wet, we hiked in a relatively quick pace and felt quite excited. Our destination was Inti Punku (Sun Gate), where we were supposed to get a glimpse of early sunlight shining on the legendary lost city. Though the night of heavy rain brought us another morning of mist, so that scene of golden Machu Picchu at dawn never happened for us. At least it wasn’t raining when we arrived at Inti Punku. We only stopped briefly for a drink, took a few pictures and continued our way marching towards Machu Picchu.
Before entering the legendary ruins, we stopped at the guard house to have a closer overview of Machu Picchu. We stood at the Terraces of the Ceremonial Rock near the guard house and waited for the fog to lift. Magically it did happen in front of our eyes. We could see first the ruins and then later Huayna Picchu, the iconic mountain behind the lost city. After some moments of excitement, we descended to the main entrance. At the main entrance, we used the toilet, stored our day-pack, and had some morning snack before heading back in to Machu Picchu for a tour with our guide Freddie. And then the dog appeared again, which had been mysteriously following our group since we left our first camp site two days ago.
At 5am, we woke up to a grey sky of clouds and fog.
Clouds and fog was still present, but the fog seemed lifting a little by the time we reached Inti Punku (Sun Gate).
Lush green mountains around Machu Picchu.
Llamas and the Terraces of the Ceremonial Rock near the Guardhouse.
From the guard house, Machu Picchu stood right below. We sat on one of the terraces to wait for the fog to lift.
Our group among other trekkers waiting for Machu Picchu to emerge from the mist.
Machu Picchu in the mist.
Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu in the mist.
Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu after some minutes of waiting.
Entrance tickets into Machu Picchu.
And here is the dog that had been mysteriously following our group since we left our first camp site two days ago.
* * *
Read other posts on Peru Trip 2010
1. Peru Trip 2010
2. Bumpy Arrival, Lima & Arequipa, Peru
AREQUIPA & COLCA CANYON
3. Monasterio de Santa Catalina, Arequipa, Peru
4. Plaza de Armas, Arequipa, Peru
5. Volcanoes and Vicuna, Pampa Canahuas Natural Reserve, Patahuasi, and Patapampa, Peru
6. Yanque, Colca Canyon, Peru
7. Cruz del Condor, Colca Canyon, Peru
8. Farming Terraces, Colca Canyon, Peru
PUNO & TITICACA
9. Road to Titicaca, Colca Canyon to Puno, Peru
10. Afternoon on Taquile Island, Titicaca, Peru
11. Morning on Taquile, Titicaca, Peru
12. Inka Express, Puno to Cusco, Peru
CUSCO & SACRED VALLEY
13. Pisac & Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley, Peru
14. Salinas de Maras, & Moray, Sacred Valley, Peru
15. Lucuma Milkshake & Plaza de Armas, Cusco, Peru
16. Saksaywaman, Cusco, Peru
17. KM 82 to Wayllabamba, Inca Trail, Peru
18. Wayllabamba to Pacamayo, Inca Trail, Peru
19. Pacasmayo to Winay Wayna, Inca Trail, Peru
20. Winay Wayna to Machu Picchu, Inca Trail, Peru
21. Machu Piccu, Inca Trail, Peru
22. Machu Picchu in Black and White, Inca Trail, Peru
23. Afterthought, Inca Trail, Peru
LAST DAY IN CUSCO & LIMA
24. Farewell to the Incas, Cusco, Peru
25. Last Day in Peru, Lima, Peru