PLAZA DE ARMAS, Arequipa, Peru
After visiting Monasterio de Santa Catalina, We visited Museo Santuarios Andinos (Museum of Andean Sanctuaries) where the well preserved frozen body of Mummy Juanita is housed. Also known as the Inca Ice Maiden, Mummy Juanita was discovered in 1995 on Nevado Ampato, a dormant stratovolcano not far from Arequipa. Seeing the frozen mummy of a 12-year old Inca girl reminded us the fear and respect the precolonial Incas had for the mighty volcanoes in the area.
After the chilly exhibits, we took a relaxing stroll under the warm afternoon sun around Plaza de Armas, the historical heart of Arequipa. Built with ashlar blocks, the Arequipa Cathedral dominates one side of the plaza with its colonial Baroque facade. In adjacent, the two tier Neo-Renaissance colonnade of the Portal (Portales) was previously functioned as the town hall of Arequipa, now creating a historical backdrop for tourists to soak in the colonial atmosphere.
In the evening, we climbed up to the roof patio of Portales to enjoy our dinner. The view overlooking the Plaza de Armas was magnificent, while the distant views of the mighty volcanoes surrounding Arequipa were equally impressive. Temperature dropped significantly as the sun lowered, fortunately the restaurant owner handed us each a traditional wool poncho to keep warm. That night, we had our first taste of llama steak.
Plaza de Armas is the most iconic public space in Arequipa.
Plaza de Armas is frequented by locals and tourists.
The colonnade of the Portales, originally served as Arequipa’s town hall.
Local crossing the street at Portales. [Scanned positive slide]
Basilica Cathedral of Arequipa. [Scanned positive slide]
The bell tower of Basilica Cathedral of Arequipa. [Scanned positive slide]
Tourist restaurants occupy more than one level of the Portales, including the roof patio overlooking the archway and bell tower of Basilica Cathedral of Arequipa.
El Misti Volcano from the roof of the Portales.
* * *
Read other posts on Peru Trip 2010
1. Peru Trip 2010
2. Bumpy Arrival, Lima & Arequipa, Peru
AREQUIPA & COLCA CANYON
3. Monasterio de Santa Catalina, Arequipa, Peru
4. Plaza de Armas, Arequipa, Peru
5. Volcanoes and Vicuna, Pampa Canahuas Natural Reserve, Patahuasi, and Patapampa, Peru
6. Yanque, Colca Canyon, Peru
7. Cruz del Condor, Colca Canyon, Peru
8. Farming Terraces, Colca Canyon, Peru
PUNO & TITICACA
9. Road to Titicaca, Colca Canyon to Puno, Peru
10. Afternoon on Taquile Island, Titicaca, Peru
11. Morning on Taquile, Titicaca, Peru
12. Inka Express, Puno to Cusco, Peru
CUSCO & SACRED VALLEY
13. Pisac & Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley, Peru
14. Salinas de Maras, & Moray, Sacred Valley, Peru
15. Lucuma Milkshake & Plaza de Armas, Cusco, Peru
16. Saksaywaman, Cusco, Peru
17. KM 82 to Wayllabamba, Inca Trail, Peru
18. Wayllabamba to Pacamayo, Inca Trail, Peru
19. Pacasmayo to Winay Wayna, Inca Trail, Peru
20. Winay Wayna to Machu Picchu, Inca Trail, Peru
21. Machu Piccu, Inca Trail, Peru
22. Machu Picchu in Black and White, Inca Trail, Peru
23. Afterthought, Inca Trail, Peru
LAST DAY IN CUSCO & LIMA
24. Farewell to the Incas, Cusco, Peru
25. Last Day in Peru, Lima, Peru